Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Are We Having Fun Yet?



Well, Dearly Beloved, isn't this nice?  Remember this from Hamlet?  That's me being Prologue.  I just threw it in because it's April First, and some attention must be paid.

However, it has been an interesting month.  Or so.  I was Costume Mistress for Avenue Q, produced by Austin Theatre Project.  In all my years of theatre, I had never been a dresser for a puppet.  I had, of course, mended a few of them for Jim's puppetry classes at Cedar Valley, and those skills came in handy, too.

Remember this?


Rex's gown from Rex's Exes was something of a challenge.  I bought a size 20 gown, and let it out as far as it would go, adding all the pink lace, net and fringe to make it as crazy as possible.  Lynn Beaver did the hat.  John Iacoletti is the actor.  Well, it got used again in Avenue Q:


having been reduced to a size 10, just for grins and giggles. Pictured are R Michael Clinkscales, Michelle Alexander and June Julian.  Michelle was a student of Jim's at Cedar Valley.  It is always wonderful to meet people that he influenced, and especially so to meet them in theatre.

I auditioned for Prism in The Importance of Being Earnest at City Theatre, and made it to callbacks.  I am still chuffed about that.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?  And, I sent my brand new shiny resume (thanks, Darr) and my brand new shiny headshot (thanks, Doc List) to a director doing a music video, and got cast in that.  I assume I will have a copy of the finished product for my demo reel (listen to me, sounding all professional and shit), so y'all will get to see it too, even if it doesn't make Cannes.

Speaking of films, Brandon Harris, alumnus of both Jim's class at Cedar Valley and Sam Bass Theatre, has landed his happy self a lead in a movie.  I will share as he does.  Something about knights and magic...

I went to Sherwood Forest Faire with Vanessa, Addy and some friends.  Here's Addy.  She had fun.


I made this out of a curtain, after dyeing it and applying some trim that I had knit last year:


Vanessa wore one of the corsets I made for The Tempest Project:


I love the blue and bronze colour combination.

So.  That's what I've been up to.  How about you?

2 comments:

  1. June looks better in the fringe dress than I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say this...but almost anyone looks better in the gown than you did.

      Delete