Sunday, April 12, 2015

Twice-bought Dress

I used to have a lovely 1970s black dress.  If it wasn't a Gunne Sax, it looked like one.  Made of black crinkle cotton with black cotton lace trim, it had a square neckline and a flounce at the hem.  It was a bit long--everything was--so I hemmed up the flounce about six inches, which brought it up to my ankle.

I wore it a lot.  It was flattering, washable and just all sorts of awesome.  After a while, it began to look a little rusty, so I re-dyed it.  Chandra wore it for Halloween in 1989, when she was Scarlett O'Hara In Mourning.  I do have a picture of that, somewhere, so I shall have to scan it into the computer.

Eventually, styles changed, and I had nowhere to wear it after SSS and I split up, so I donated it to Goodwill.

Years later, shopping at a different Goodwill, I was perusing a huge round rack of such dresses, and came across it.  I was a bit taken aback, thinking it was an identical dress, but when I examined the inside (like you do) I realized that a) it had been dyed and b) the hem was definitely my work.

So I bought it.

It's probably not still around, but I was thinking about it a few days ago.

Because it was awesome, and I bought it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment