Monday, October 18, 2010

I Got the Post Show Blues!

Captain Henrietta, with Tara's shades. I don't know why it is, but I catch very similar expressions on the faces of a lot of actors when I run around with my camera at matinees.


Lynn is a very good director. And conductor. And storyteller. I think we should keep her, don't you?


The transformation from actor to character takes place in here. Everyone has his or her own routine...hair...makeup...costume...in no particular order. There is limited space at the mirror, so we sort of take turns. Some (like me) pick a spot on the counter to set up makeup bag, hot rollers, curling irons, and just jump in there whenever nobody else is in it. It's a dance, really. Some actors are at the mirror while others change into costumes in the background.

After the house is open, we have to be quiet back here. The only things separating us from the stage are cotton curtains covering the entrances. Considering the myriad topics of conversation that are covered while we dress and make up, it's a good thing we have fairly loud pre-show music to cover it. Actors are, on the whole, not known for silence.

Anyway, I miss this lot and, while I have a lot to do in the next few months, I am already looking forward to "Steel Magnolias" in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment