Wednesday, September 10, 2008

In Which the Author Pitches a Fit

I have too many irons in the fire.

"The Producers" gets picked up on the 20th. "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" gets picked up on the 23rd. "Romeo and Juliet" opens on the 19th.

There is still a lot to be done for all three of them.

I blew up at cast members this evening.

I found this charming little yellow silk dress for one of the girls. It's very cute, with a band of sheer yellow running around it a few inches above the knee. The little red-head for whom I procured the dress was heard to be grumbling that she didn't like it because she didn't think her legs looked nice.

An actor came to me, saying that the pants I had rented and altered for him weren't going to fit, because he had put on ten pounds.

Another actor insisted that he has a 34" waist. It took a tape measure to prove he actually measures 36", if he sucks it in.

I am sorry I went off on all these people. I wasn't nice. I hurt some feelings.

I am doing the best I can.

Thsi morning I got up at 8:30, worked till nine, visited a few message boards till 9:45, ran by my house to feed the cats and gather some costumes and headed to work at 10:30. On my lunch hour, I went to the Goodwill to get some costumes for "R & J." After that, back to the Costume shop to work until six. At six, I rushed home to get the mail, eat my McDonald's salad, and off to the theater for a seven o'clock rehearsal. I got out of there just before nine, and made a stop at Walmart for some more costumes, getting home to Kaye's at ten. I then started the bits I have to sew in the morning (before work), and here I am.

My normal days off from the costume shop are Sunday and Monday, but we will have to work the next two Mondays to get the two big shows done in time. did I mention that I have two trick dresses to adapt--trying to reproduce a cinematic effect on stage? Did I also mention that I'm in charge of approximating the "Chrysler Building" dress for "The Producers?" And that the guy wearing it is well over six feet and two hundred and fifty pounds?

This is what my life is going to be like until after the 23rd.

Don't mess with me.

8 comments:

  1. I had a director who used to throw chairs at us when he was mad! Don't feel too bad. :)

    It will blow over. On closing night when the curtain goes down, and there are tears and hugs all around, nobody will even remember today.

    Love,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! A little tip from me, get your blood pressure checked. I don't have nearly as many stresses, and mine was 180 odd over 120. Apparently, that's bad as it is high enough to be dangerous, but not high enough to show symptoms.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mgt, I have neither the time nor the money to get ANYTHING checked! No medical insurance, and a visit to a doctor alone is over a day's pay.

    If I have time next time I'm in the drugstore, I'll hook myself up to their free machine and see what's cooking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about that. We are so very lucky over here.

    All I ever pay is £5 per prescription. And, even that will be abolished by next year in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, that would possibly be worth putting up with the weather...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hospitals started charging for parking last year. That has now been scrapped in Scotland too. It used to cost £1 for 3 hours.

    It's laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ronni, you're going to have to clone yourself.

    Mgt., I hope you're taking medication for that blood pressure. That reading is through-the-roof-high.

    Luckily, most blood pressure meds are VERY cheap. Mine is 10 bucks for about a 3 month supply.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Nadine, I've got to take 3 tabs each day.

    You all have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete