Friday, September 12, 2008

Waiting for the Storm

Hurricane Ike Is as big as the entire state of Texas.

People are pouring into the Austin area from the coast. Schools closed early today, to allow time to set up shelters in them. The news stations are regaling us with pictures of elderly ladies struggling through shin-deep water, clutching pet carriers. I'm glad I'm not there in Galveston or Houston.

We are under a wind advisory, with an 80% chance of rain, so we are going to get some weather. We are also going to get some higher gas prices. I'm glad I filled Minnie Miata up yesterday. Gas is more expensive today, and will be worse tomorrow.

I am at Kaye's with Mrs Thing. Fortunately, she is not afraid of storms. We probably will not get thunderstorms and tornadoes, as those usually are on the east side, or leading edge of the hurricane.

So, the car is gassed up, we are well stocked with enough necessities to get through the next twenty-four hours, and hopefully, there will be enough wind to blow the leaves off the driveway at my house.

3 comments:

  1. If its going to dampen the weekend, the least Ike can do is get rid of the leaves.
    HAHAHAHA-that made me laugh.

    Be safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronni, ever our practical gal.

    Thinking of you and those on the coast. I saw a doppler map of the hurricane. It almost covered the Gulf of Mexico. Unbelievable.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting here, waiting for something to happen. I've brought in all the cushions from the patio furniture, and little things out there on shelves, like chalk and garden gloves.

    I planned to go to bed at one, as I have to work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete