Sunday, July 20, 2008

Thoughts on Gettysburg


The thing I've carried away from a total of five days spent on the battlefield, over a five year period, is the quiet hush that always seems to be present.

Oh, we saw some kids perched on the rocks at Devil's Den, playing video games on their cell phones, and there was dropped garbage in a few places, but on the whole, the place commands respect.

Summer flowers nod their heads in the breeze, and dandelion seeds blow like a gentle benediction. The sight of monuments placed in the spots where companies and battalions fought is surreal. They rise out of the fields and between the trees, providing an alien presence.

There are families on vacation, vintage car buffs, bikers, bicyclers, boy scouts, people in wheelchairs, people on horseback, serious photographers, and just people like us, trying to understand.

We skipped the ghost tour, not wanting to spoil the mood with falseness.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ronni!

    I'm hoping you are going to load a fair amount of those pictures onto your YY site. Looking forward to it.

    Great that you are getting to spend this wonderful time with Brendan. Good for him to get some knowledge of the Country. You're really good at educating the kids, though, aren't you?

    Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to keep YY for just the best ones. I'll have to check and see how good they are, first.

    Actually, I don't think I am all that good at educating kids.

    Still, some later of monuments in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip has been very sentimental for me--so far, I have been everyplace you have highlighted.

    Waiting for your trip news on DC. I lived there 10 years.

    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete