Thursday, September 01, 2005

Smokers' Angst

I haven't written for a couple of days, as I've just quit smoking and I'm an emotional mess.

I have quit smoking before, once, for two years. Don't ask me why I started up again. Because I'm an idiot, I guess!

This time, maybe because of my age (post-menopausal), it's affecting my emotions more. I'm using The Patch. I feel as if I have some sort of extended PMS.

I'm starting Day 3 today. I am determined. I am restless. I am crying a lot. I'm getting sick of hard candy.

I have been glued to the hurricane aftermath coverage, and that's enough to make anyone cry.

Where are the so-called "Very Rich" in this crisis? Churches are collecting pennies from Sunday School kids to help out. Musicians are holding benefit concerts. Serena Williams is donating $100 for every ace. Whoop-de-do! With her $40,000 earrings! Where is Bill Gates? Donald Trump? Michael Dell? All the people whose names we never know because they pay a publicist all kinds of money to keep their names out of the papers? You know who you are. The ones who can donate 10 or 20 million without batting an eye. Get on it, guys!

2 comments:

  1. Vero, I saw that stupid comment that Serena Williams made also. What an insult to the victims intelligence. I hope the days start to get a bit easier for you Vero, with the giving up the ciggies, just take one day at a time, and mark it of the calender, don't look at the big picture because it becomes to overwhelming, baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the smoking, Vero. Though I'm not exactly the poster girl for quitting, if you can, try to go get a massage. My half sis is a masseuse and claims it helps with the craving and can also rid you of some of the toxins that make you jones for a smoke.

    I just read on Faux news that author and MS native John Grisham donated $5M to the hurricane fund. He hopes it will spur others on to make big ticket donations.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete