Friday, November 15, 2013

In Which the Writer Goes To a Very Special Play

I miss middle school theatre.

I didn't realize this until today, when I went to see "Wiley and the Hairy Man," presented by Walsh Middle School.  Their director, Cari Ancelet, was a friend of Jim's, whom I met many times during Jim's time at Cedar Valley Middle School.  Her former school frequently hosted Speech and Theatre tournaments, and always had a contingent present when Cedar Valley hosted.

The play was wonderfully creepy, in a "Dark of the Moon" sort of way.  Full of spells and rhythmic chorus recitation...telling a story very effectively.  Jim would have loved it.

I went because one of the actors is in "Mrs Bob Cratchit's Wild Christmas Binge" at Sam Bass, and he invited me.  I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and it makes me wish I could go to the contest tomorrow at the PAC.  Unfortunately, I have to work.  Seeing the play tonight was very intense for me.  I can imagine what seeing one after another all day would be like!  Usually, such contests start early in the morning and end very late in the evening.

It was a strange sort of...homecoming, if you will.  It has been so long that I forgot to stand in the back and had to get up after it started and move, because in a "cafetorium," all the seats are flat on the floor, and it is very difficult to see.  It was that same old middle school smell, and the same intensity and enthusiasm from the kids.  Who knew an old teacher's widow would be homesick for middle school!

Thanks very much to Diego Longoria for inviting me.

Sending out a huge Break-a-Leg to all the contestants tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment