Saturday, August 18, 2012

Boss Wheels

This is a 1958 Dodge Mayfair.  We had a '57, but I can't find a picture of that.  Ours was copper, with tan where this one is red.

Dad bought it used in maybe '63 or '64, so it was considered a "heap" at that time.  Cars had become more compact and had less chrome by then, and this was just not stylin', if you know what I mean.

It was the first car I remember that had a heater and a radio.  Everything, even the automatic transmission, ran off of big square buttons.  I think it had a V8.  The Mayfair was a Canadian model, and probably had a different name down here.

My mom was the penultimate back seat driver and my dad was very nervous, so the poor thing never got to get on the road and go fast.  Anything over 40 mph, and Mom was a bundle of nerves.  Highway speed limits were at 60, at that time and in that place, and British Columbia took them very seriously. 

It was such an odd choice for my conservative father--it must have been cheap.  Most of the cars we owned faded into the background...I remember a grey station wagon before, and after this one it was a light blue '60s something-or-other.  I don't really remember either of them.

It was in the front seat of this one (about the size of a twin bed) that I gave up my virginity to Rick Tilley, parked out by the city dump.  I didn't think about it at the time, but there was a reason he took me there.  That car kind of stood out.  All the usual parking spots would have contained people who would have recognized it, and Rick was 22.  I was 17.  Trouble would have ensued.

Ah...memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment