Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Pomposity of Gratitude

I know...I know...it's Thanksgiving.  And I have a lot for which to be Thankful.  It just seems so...pompous (or maybe smug) to list all those things.  I mean, how do my friends who do not share my robust good health feel when I crow about how Thankful I am for mine?  Is it nice to mention that I'm Thankful my kids are smart, skeptical thinkers, when I know that some of my friends and family are not so fortunate in theirs?

Maybe I'll go with "Happy," and not "Thankful."  Let's call it like it is.

I'm happy to be alive.  In spite of being old and fat, I'm still having fun.  I'm happy to have a job, and the fact that I enjoy it is an extra bonus. 

Even though my house is in total disrepair, I'm happy to have a roof over my head. 

I'm happy to have Chandra and Aidan living with me, and happy that Vanessa, Ethan and Eli live nearby.  I wish Brendan were closer, but I am happy that he is in college and fixing to set out on his life's path.

I'm very happy about my show.  In spite of the fact that, with three rehearsals left before our first audience, I have yet to have one with the entire cast present, I know this show will rock.  Very happy that such a lot of talented people are willing to work so hard with me to create theater magic.  I am also happy to have a few days off work this weekend to finish out the set.

I'm happy to have such a warm and wonderful group of friends, both those I see in person, and those I talk to here, through the magic of the interwebs.

Life goes on.  Life is still fun, in spite of all the non-fun things we all have to deal with.

Oh...one last thing...I am (dare I say it?) Extremely Happy that I actually Like turkey!

2 comments:

  1. Ronni, I can totally relate to a lot of what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Ronni! Just read it. Very clever and it really makes me HAPPY to read it! ...t

    ReplyDelete