Sunday, October 02, 2011

Austin Sundown



I've never before taken one of the cruises on Lake Austin (or is it Town Lake...pardon me, Lady Bird Lake...I get confused).  Last night was the annual ACA (Atheist Community of Austin) Bat Cruise, and I was feeling flush, what with this being the first full paycheck I've had since the end of June, so off I went.   Bought a little cooler, some nice beer, a couple of sandwiches, put the top down, collected Ben, and we were "orf to the ryces."

It was a lot of fun.  I am not good at estimating the head count of a group of people (they move, you know), but there were, if you'll pardon the expression, a boatload.

The bats were less than impressive this year.  Due to the drought, there must be a shortage of mosquitoes, because the actual flight was surprisingly short.  It was, however, very fast.  The bats are mere streaks in the pics I took.  If you can tell those are bats in the photo above, you've got better eyes than I!  And that's the best shot I got, even with my new(ish) Canon Elph Power Shot.

Anyway, the biggest problem was that it was over too soon.  We tried to go to two places for an afterparty, but never made it out of the first. 

It was all sorts of fun, and I hope I can go again next year!

As well, I want to rent one of those little pontoon boats that run on pedal power. 

I had forgotten that I like being on and near water.

No comments:

Post a Comment