Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Basket Case

Well, it has been a hell of a week, so far.

I had a minor panic on Monday, when two of my cast for "Waiting for Godot" didn't show up for the first read-through. Turns out that one of them had clicked the wrong thing when he signed up for the Yahoo group, so he wasn't getting notifications of posts to the group. The other is a teenager and just plumb forgot.

Meanwhile, the theater that had us design their production of "The Bourgeois Gentleman" decided that they needed it several days earlier than originally planned, so we had a bit of a scramble to get it all done. Six day weeks, and extra hours, and yada, yada. Good for my bank account, but bad for my equilibrium. Stress. More stress.

Oh, and I got a call from CiCi today...her doctor won't let her be my tree. CiCi has health issues, and is working on a regimen to strengthen her heart. Dancing in my show is not on the list of acceptable activities. I am, of course, devastated, but a healthy CiCi is worth any sacrifice. Besides, she has found me a kick-ass substitute--Ashlyn Nichols is going to be my tree. Ashlyn had been in umpteen shows at The Palace, and she is very talented. I am excited that she is joining our cast.

I am getting used to the total terror of blocking Frank and Craig as Vladimir and Estragon. I actually got the whole first act blocked in three days. We still have the group reaction to Lucky's monologue to do, and there are a few places that are awkward and will be tweaked, but I am fairly pleased with it, so far. I am already seeing moments of the humour I want.

Anyway, I now have three days when all I have to do is show up at work, at the usual time, and then come home and ponder Act II.

As the kids say, "Sweet!"

No comments:

Post a Comment