Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Driven Crazy by NPR

Listening to NPR today, I caught a story about officious types trying to regulate Yoga instructors, and I realized something.

I want to live a different life.

I want to live the life my mother was preparing me for. You know...the one where most people are honest, and people don't misrepresent themselves in order to con others out of their money. Where Yoga instructors spend years studying yoga, and then share their skills and knowledge with others. Not this one, where Yoga instructors are taught Yoga as a trade, and for $3K you can take a two-year course and get a license.

Anyway, I am thinking about this fair and honest world my parents taught me about, and wondering why we try to teach our kids the world is like that, when everything they see outside our presence gives it the lie.

I guess it's just too depressing to say, "Look. The place is a mess, we're going to hell in a hand basket, the mean girls have taken over and the misanthropes rule the world. Your mission (should you choose to accept it), is to be a beacon of Truth and Light in the wasteland of greed and anger that surrounds us."

Is it any wonder they go all emo on us?

No comments:

Post a Comment