Wednesday, November 12, 2008

At Somebody's Knee

There are a few things it seems as if I've always known.

These days, I'm an atheist. But, there are still some things that the concept of "God" makes easier to understand.

Like the expression, "God damn it!" There are some folks will tell you that's taking the Lord's name in vain. However, a simple fact must be faced, and that is that if you remove the word, "God," from that phrase, it loses much of its power.

I used to know an Anglican Minister who could have turned that into a fascinating sermon. I kid you not. Reverend Houghton, I miss you.

That's one of the great truths of life, but, I digress.

Here's something I think I have always known: If, as the bible says, we are all created in the image of God, then we all hold equal value in the sight of God. Skin colour, religion, intelligence...none of these things matters. Each spark of life, consciousness--whatever you want to call it, is the same. Prejudice is silly.

Here's another: the purpose of Christianity is to create a world in which Christ, if he were to return, would not be killed off this time around. If you think about it, it doesn't seem to be working very well.

On some level, parents are trying to improve the world, one child at a time. It's a pretty depressing time to be raising a child. Really. It's getting more and more difficult to maintain the child-rearing ideals of fairness, honesty, courage, etc., when bullying, lying and cowardice seem to rule. We try to tell our children the truth, but, somehow, "Life sucks. Get used to it," is rather a dismal message.

Oh, and one thing that I always thought I had always known? How to use chopsticks. I never could remember not knowing. Fortunately, it's something I had a chance to ask my mother, who actually did remember when and from whom I learned to eat with chopsticks.

I guess that's what they men when they say something is "learned at your mother's knee."

No comments:

Post a Comment