Friday, August 24, 2007

From Brandon Harris

Jim Prior changed my life.

As I sit typing this, I'm sitting in a house in Winston-Salem, NC, about to start my second year at North Carolina School of the Arts, in there Acting conservatory program. I left home in Austin, my friends and family, and everything comfortable to pursue life as an actor.

This would never have been so if it wasn't for Mr. Prior.

I first became intersted in acting and theatre in the 7th grade, where I started participating in middle school theatre, and in plays at the local community theatre, Sam Bass Theatre, (where Mr. Prior had been an active member since the early 80s.) I wasn't in Mr. Prior's theatre class in 7th grade, but I definitely knew who he was.

My first time really getting to spend time with and get to know him was in August-October of 2001, in the Sam Bass production of The Man Who Came to Dinner. He was playing professor Adolf Metz, a small but hilarious role that he played wonderfully. Meanwhile, I was the 13 year old props master for the show.

I began to talk to and get to know Mr. Prior backstage, as a person and actor, before I was ever even taught by him.

And I still remember, as vividly as if it were yesterday, September 11th. It was supposed to be the openeing of our show. I remember walking up to the theatre, and Mr. Prior was sitting on the front steps. There were people milling about, talking about it, but I specifically remember talking to Mr. Prior, him shaking his head in disbelief and saying "the worst act of terrorism of all time, and right now, in our lives."

As I begin to plow through my mind, memory after memory of my time spent in his classes, or working with him on shows, or just talking to him, continue to come to mind.

I will never forget my 8th grade year. It was, by and far, the most angst-ridden, insecure, miserable year of my life. I was always picked on in athletics, being the weird theatre kid who wore black turtlenecks. "faggot" was my most popular nickname. The only classes all day that I would ever look forward to, the best part of every day, were speech and theatre with Mr. Prior.

I still remember the feeling of walking into that portable with the purple door painted "theatre", and sitting in the blue plastic chairs lined up to face the in-class stage. I remember sitting there, hearing him talk about acting and theatre with such love and passion. I remember kids actually wanting to answer questions, because of the precious Jolly Rancher that would would fly from Mr. Prior's hand should you get the answer correct. I heard that later, the school wouldn't let him do that anymore.

I remember pantomime.
I remember "round to flat, flat to round" when dealing with invisible objects.
I remember watching mr. prior open an invisible jar, pull out an invisible candy, and eat it.
I remember standing onstage performing reader's theatre that mr. prior himself had written, such as "Jimmy Search", and "Generic Hospital."
I remember improv, and freeze improv.
I remember kids who hated every other class, and were known as slackers and problem students, incredibly excited to yell "freeze!" so that they could get their chance on-stage.
I remember debates in speech class where we 12-14 year olds would passionately expound our slightly informed but basically naive platforms, to the encouragement, and jolly smile of Mr. Prior.
I remember lipsync, and performing them in front of a cafeteria full of kids.
I remember the schoolwide lipsync competition Mr. Prior organized where I got dehydrated from wearing a huge pair of pants and shirt filled with pillows.
I remember middle school One Act.
I remember Mr. Prior lending me his black socks, because I was an irresponsible kid who forgot to bring some on the day we were performing our one act, Our Town.
I remember being the Middle school news anchor, because Mr. Prior had gotten it worked out so that we would broadcast the news to the rest of the school from his portable every morning.
I remember the parody/educational video we made with Kyle Ramirez as Osama bin Laden, to try to convice kids not to call 1-800 psychics like Miss Cleo.
I remember middle school theatre competitions.
I remember winning pantomime by performing a piece about a bumbling magician that mr. prior had written.
I remember Mr. Prior always encouraging.
I remember Mr. Prior always laughing.
I remember Mr. Prior always smiling.
I remember Mr. Prior.


Of all the things I learned from Mr. Prior, I learned to love theatre. I learned to love acting. If it wasn't for him, I may be on my way to being a veterinarian. Or maybe an accountant. Or a lawyer.

Or maybe I wouldn't have any idea of what I really wanted to do with my life.

I can't really say where I'd be if it wasn't for mr. prior.

All I know is who I am because of him.

-Brandon Harris

13 comments:

  1. Ronni, this is a wonderful tribute. Jim sounds like such a great man. I've read so many things about his influence on young people. Middle school is such a hard time for so many kids. And Jim made a difference for them. Again, you are in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this dark time. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, carol.

    And thanks to all of the wonderful people who have given me so much to help me through this hell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading Brandon's story gives a sense of the kind of person Jim was, and the impact he made on young people's lives. I am sure in the weeks to come, you will receive many more wonderful tributes from former students.

    You have lots of people thinking about you and sending prayers your way. You just have to take things at your own pace and deal as best you can. As my Mom was fond of saying. "Let go, Let God".

    Take care.

    Anne-SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you, my friend. I wish I could be there to lend a hand in some way. I know Jim was a wonderful person. He just must have gotten in a place where he saw no way out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful tribute from Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. High praise from one so talented and dear. Thanks Jim, for helping make Brandon the man he is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. brandon, that was beautifully written
    and helps me to know more about jim.

    it sounds like you are full of imagination and spirit. i wish you well in your creative endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tribute!

    I would like to think that WE are the Sum of our Parts.

    Jim had faults, so do I.

    But this heartfelt exposé, had a way of calming me down.

    Thank You Brandon, For reminding us all what it is all about.

    Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute, and it speaks to what Jim accomplished in his life. He left a legacy to many young people that will be remembered the rest of their lives.

    This tribute also tells us, who never met Jim, how many hearts - young and not so young - he touched.

    It's things like this, Ronni, that will get you through the worst times, and make you smile when life begins to become just a bit more "normal."

    ReplyDelete
  10. FANTASTIC, Brandon. Thank you for sharing your understanding of Jim. How lucky you are to have known him, learned from him and been inspired.

    I feel the same way about Ronni.

    Thank you so much for writing this tribute. Good luck in the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brandon, you sound like a very fine young man. Mr Prior, I'm sure, would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful tribute Brandon.

    People touch our lives in so many different ways. Inspiration comes from many places, but is more precious when bestowed upon us from another person who obviously had so much to give to so many.

    God bless you Jim.

    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was great man.

    I remeber when all of his mics got stolen and he used a cheer leader horn thing to yell at the stage.

    Seeing him speeding around in his Miata looking like a mad man...

    ...Or the R.V.

    ReplyDelete