Monday, April 09, 2007

Cora Lynne Williams

Here is my Eighth Grade Class. Cora Lynne is on the right end of the second row. There are a lot of kids in this class whose names I do not remember, but she is not one of them.

We were neighbours that year. She was a bit older in years, but not much. In life experience, though, she was the most sophisticated girl I knew. She used to tell outrageous stories about sneaking out with boyfriends. She knew how to set her hair with brush rollers, and taught me. She even gave me a perm. She also introduced me to the sophisticated world of cigarette smoke. To be fair, though my first adventures in smoking were with Cora Lynne, it was another four years before I started to smoke in earnest.

She taught me what words not to say in class. I came from a parochial school, and was the most naive 8th grader in the history of the world, I swear. Who knew that "cock" had another meaning besides "rooster?" Cora Lynne did, that's who. Well, to be fair, everybody did, except me. Cora Lynne told me about it, though, and for that I will be forever grateful.

Her family home was almost a small farm, and I felt very much at home there, as I had spent so much time at the farm connected with the parochial school I attended from 4th to 7th grade.

Anyway, she comes to mind today because I just got an email from her. She found my profile at Classmates dot com, and left me a message.

I am so thrilled to hear from her. She still lives in Chemainus, and knows that town like I know Round Rock. Better, probably, because she and her former husband were in the building trade there.

Thanks for getting in touch, Cora Lynne!

We have a lot to catch up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment