Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back To Work


Both jobs today, and my knees are showing it. Two weeks off takes its toll.

Please take note of one of the most ignored signs in the world.

I usually enjoy working in the sandwich shop. Today, however, we were hit by a lot of rude, niggardly slobs. They got testy while their sandwiches were being made, didn't tip worth a hoot, and left their tables awash with napkins, lettuce, straws and used gum.

I try to be kind. I don't always succeed. I try to think that the customer might be a bit irritable because she's on a break from a deathwatch at the hospital, or he might have just been told he's to be laid off. There could be many reasons for a customer to be testy that have nothing to do with me or my sandwich skills. However, when Mr Style is crotchety twice, a couple of weeks apart, I start to wonder if maybe it's just his way of dealing with inferiors. You can tell we're inferior, because he drives a Beamer and has his hair professionally styled every day. Obviously, marks of the Superior Man. The hair gives him licence to sneer and enunciate very deliberately when asked what he wants on his sandwich. He's one of those who expects us to remember from one visit to the next, how he likes his sandwiches. "I said NO MAYO!" he says, when asked, "mustard or mayo?"

I want to have Nick hire him and see how long he'd last!

3 comments:

  1. Good day, Ronni. I'm glad to be here to say 'hello' today. Busy as all hell, though.

    Those nasty bastards in the sandwich shop are either really brave or really ignorant. Being an arsehole to the person making your food is not a good idea.

    Hope you had a wonderful holiday, Ronni. BBL (still trying to catch up).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you, Mgt! Here's hoping your holiday was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LHAT Mgt! There really is no excuse for such rudeness. What sad little people to think that treating people that way makes them better. You have far more class, ronni, for being able to hold your tongue as often as you do.

    ReplyDelete