Monday, December 11, 2023

First Freeze

 I love my apartment! I'm on the ground floor of a three-storey building, which conserves heat and coolness in a most remarkable manner, compared with the drafty house in Round Rock. During the hottest summer on record, my electric bill stayed below $90/month. I don't know how it will do in the cold, but let me tell you that I rarely had a bill lower than $300 at the house, and often over $400 during the summer. Of course, that one time it got really, REALLY cold, the electric grid shut down, so we had neither heat nor a high bill until after the got it back up. THEN the bill was through the roof. That poor struggling electric company needed to pay for the repairs somehow! God forbid they should take the cut in profits caused by their own greed!

My computer says it's 31 F outside, and my phone says 29. Last night, I moved all the patio plants back against the wall and covered them, and everything seems OK, but the best news of all is that I am walking around on my insulated floor in bare feet and the floor doesn't even feel cold. I set the thermostat for 69, and was very comfortable sleeping. I will go for lower settings and more blankets if cold weather persists. The weather people have been warning that it is going to be a cold winter.

On a side note, a bulldog is a very adequate substitute for a hot water bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment