Monday, August 22, 2022

Reading Burnout

 I saw a meme earlier (damned if I can find it now, of course), that mentioned something to the effect of "emotional support books," that would follow their owner to their grave without ever being read.

A couple of years ago, I would not have understood this at all, but now it makes perfect sense. Dearly Beloved, I fear I have lost the will to read!

Anyone who has known me for a long time will know that I have always been a voracious reader. Back in the day, I wrote my name on a card at the library, and the title of every book I ever read was on that card, along with the date it was due back. And my name was on another card that resided in a pocket in the book. One year, I filled up five cards, and there was scarcely a book in the school library that didn't have my name in it by the time I graduated. As well, I was getting books from the public library, and from the church and swapping them around with friends. 

I'm That Mom, who read the ENTIRE Lord of the Rings trilogy to her kids, a chapter a night for something like 2 years...I may be the only person you know who, upon finishing a book, might just turn it over and read it again, right away.

And yet...these days I just don't seem to be able to sustain interest in reading much of anything. I have several books around that I have started and set down. I think about them, and tell myself I really must finish them, but it hasn't happened. Throughout the lockdown, when I thought I would read a lot, I never did.

I hope this is a temporary condition, and that a lifetime of reading hasn't led to a permanent burnout.

2 comments:

  1. You could try reading a page at a time. Just one page. It might spark your reading engine. Worked for me.

    ReplyDelete