Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Ultimate Time Suck


I used to write, frequently.  Before Facebook, I wrote almost every day, either here or on other blogs, and I spent time reading blogs.  Since, I've been hearing people say that blogs are dead.

I am on Twitter, but rarely use it, except to troll asshole politicians (but that's another entry).  Aidan set me up an Instagram, but I don't even know what that's for.  I am on LinkedIn and Pinterest, but don't use either.  I had MySpace, back in the day, but all the twinkly GIFs wore me out.

But Facebook I took to like a duck to water.  It's the first thing I do in the morning, and the last thing at night.

I'm not into posting pictures of my dinner, or myself (all that much), but sharing memes and news articles and discussing political (and other) issues with friends and strangers is all sorts of fun.

It took me a while to figure out how to find out who all those people are who "follow" me (there are over 200 of them), without being friends, and when I did, I was surprised.  I've blocked quite a few...I'm sorry, but I don't speak any Asian languages; or Hebrew, Russian, Arabic or Elvish, so if your name is not listed in an alphabet I can read, I'm blocking you.  Likewise if your name sounds Kling-on.  I am assuming a goodly (yuge?) number of these are bots of one sort or another.  Who knows...I may be on Trump's "naughty list" by now.

I don't accept friend requests unless we have friends in common, or I recognize the name from a discussion thread somewhere...or if it's someone I actually know.

I've had to block a few real life friends who, while very nice in person, are flaming Tea Party Patriots on line.  I don't mind disagreement, but telling me to go back where I came from, or that my gay friends or immigrant friends deserve "whatever they get," will get you unfriended and blocked in a heartbeat.  The only person allowed to launch ad hom attacks on my wall is my daughter Chandra, whose most frequent comment is, "You're a fucking idiot."  I find that OK, as she has done that in real life ever since she was a kid.

Still, the Book of Face has become something of an obsession and I think I need a new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment