Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Nanny in "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds"


With Maureen Slabaugh as Beatrice

Sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy, but it was ganked from Facebook and cropped.  It is the best I could do.

Anyway, this is me looking old.  Really, really old.  Nanny is ten years older than god, and almost a zombie.  This was done on stage at the Dougherty, which is a far cry from Sam Bass.  The place seats three times as many as the Depot, and there is maybe fifteen feet between the first row and the stage, whereas at Sam Bass, people in the front row can put their feet on the stage.

I achieved this look by using a very pale and greyish powder base.  I put shadows under my eyes, on my cheeks and under my lower lip with brown powdered eye shadow, and drew in all the lines I really have, to make them darker.  I also went out on stage without my upper teeth!  In short, I look like death, just barely warmed over.

I used a walker, and dressed in one of those snap-front house dresses.  The scarf hides the fact that my hair has too much colour and shine to be that old.  I had flat slippers, a couple of sized too large and wrinkled cotton stockings.

The show was awesome!  Lovely people to work for and with, and nice feedback from audience members.

So ends my first ever experience on stage in Austin.  I hope to do it again.

Photo credit:  Steven List

Some nice comments here:

http://www.nowplayingaustin.com/event/detail/441648257/The_Effect_of_Gamma_Rays_on_Man_in_the_Moon_Marigolds

No comments:

Post a Comment