Saturday, July 24, 2010

Even Bad Marriages Have Their Moments

SSS and I did have our moments. I remember one in 1974.

We were living in Evanston, IL, which is attached to the north side of Chicago. There's a university there. Our apartment was a few blocks from the grocery store, and, one day, for some reason, we decided to walk there. The snow started to fall while we were in the store.

As we both had our arms full of grocery bags (before plastic...all paper with no handles), SSS trundled on ahead to drop off his load and come back to help me.

It was dusk, and his was the only set of footprints in the new snow. Just for fun, I tried to step in them. Doing this caused me to giggle, because he was almost 6' and had a much longer stride than I at the best of times. When he was hurrying, it got even longer. I had to jump from one footprint to the next.

All of a sudden, there was no left print. Just two rights in a row. Puzzled, I stopped for a moment...and then it hit me. He had KNOWN I would try to use his footprints, and had hopped a few steps just to throw me off!

By the time I got home, I was laughing hysterically. He took one look at me, and we were both laughing our heads off.

A friend was there...I guess he was either waiting for us, or arrived right after SSS got home. He, of course, didn't get the joke at all. He got quite huffy because we were laughing so hard at this "in joke" that totally excluded him, and we barely noticed when he left.

For me, the incident was an example of the two of us being totally in tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment