Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day Storms



What is it about the Memorial Day weekend that attracts such storms? We had a doozy here last night, and more expected today. The San Gabriel River is at 9.2 ft., and expected to crest at 10 later this morning. Flood stage there is 7 ft. The San Gabriel River runs through Georgetown, about 8 miles north of us.

I can remember two that were really bad--people still talk about the 1981 Memorial Day flood. Jim almost drowned in that one when his car got washed into Shoal Creek. I saw my neighbour digging a trench around her house to keep the water from coming in her back door. My friend Becky called me from Austin and said, "There's a foot of water flowing down 45th Street. I've lived in Austin all my life, and I've never seen weather like this!" It was pretty scary.

In 1990, Jimmy Toungate and I, and our newborn Brendan, and both of my daughters, were out at the lake with his family. Toward the end of the day, we could see huge thunderheads approaching, and decided to hotfoot it for home before it hit. We literally raced that storm home! There was thunder and lightning all around us, and the first huge drops of rain fell as we pulled into the driveway. We dove for the house, lost power almost immediately, and went to bed. When we got up in the morning, ours was the only fence on the block still standing. It was constructed in such a way that it provided less resistance than most fences, so it survived.

Every low water crossing in Round Rock is probably closed, so it's not even worth checking. Just plan a different route.

If I were off today, I'd be out with my camera, but duty calls.

2 comments:

  1. Living in Britain, you forget what extreme weather is like, Ronni.

    When I lived in Africa, I kind of took it in my stride. Also, never had to trek for public transport there, which helped. Used to drive EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone drives here, too. We own three street vehicles and a motorhome. Only one of the cars is currently running, but that's beside the point! LOL!

    ReplyDelete